IngredientsMakes 1 9” Double-Crusted Pie
For the Dough:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, chilled, cubed
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups dried beans, for blind baking
For the Pie Filling:
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¾ cup shallots, finely diced
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cooked ¾ of the way in boiling water and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt and butter. Pulse until the mixture resembles sand.
- With the food processor running, slowly add the water just until the dough comes together. Remove from the workbowl and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out chilled dough to ¼” thickness, and gently place in greased 9” pie pan. Cut off the excess dough, leaving a small overhang. Reserve remaining dough.
- Poke holes in the bottom of the pie dough with a fork.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil on the dough, and fill with dry beans. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, then remove the beans and foil, and bake for 5 more minutes.
- In a small nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the shallots and cook 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, chives, thyme, salt, pepper, cream and cheese. Whisk to combine.
- Add the shallots to the egg mixture.
- Slice the potatoes to ¼” thick, and make one layer on the bottom of the pie, overlapping the potato slices.
- Spoon about 1/3 of the batter over the potatoes. Create two more layers of potatoes and then batter, ending with the batter.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and water.
- Roll out the remaining dough to ¼” thickness, and brush with egg wash. Also brush the edges of the crust on the pie.
- Place the raw, egg-washed pie dough over the pie, and gently press down on the edges to seal. Remove the excess dough, and cut a small, 1” hole in the center of the pie dough.
- Bake pie in preheated 375°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until browned. Remove from oven and serve.
- Cut shapes in any leftover dough that you have and decorate the top of the pie.
- When you place the aluminum foil on the dough to blind bake, place the shiny side of the foil against the dough to prevent it from sticking.