Makes 1 8” Terrine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 pound raw duck leg meat
- ½ pound chicken livers
- 1 pound pork fat
- 1 pound pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup cognac
- 4 duck legs, confit (cooked in duck fat)
- ½ cup green olives, pitted, cut in half
- ½ cup pistachios
- Heat olive oil in skillet and cook shallots for 5-7 minutes, or until translucent. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut the duck meat, chicken liver, pork meat and fat into chunks, and press through meat grinder, using the large blade.
- After meat has been ground, place it in a food processor with salt, pepper, and cognac. Pulse 6 times, or until meat comes together to form a ball.
- Remove stuffing from food processor and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Remove the skin from the confit duck legs, and pull the meat off the bone. Dice the meat, and add to the stuffing.
- Add olives, pistachios, and shallots to stuffing and fold in to combine.
- Line an 8” terrine mold with plastic wrap. Press the stuffing firmly into the terrine mold. Cover with plastic and then cover with aluminum foil.
- Place the terrine mold inside another baking pan, and fill the outer pan with water, so that it comes about halfway up the terrine mold.
- Bake in preheated oven for 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate for at least 12 hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, unwrap and unmold terrine. Slice and serve cold.