- 1 ½ pounds potatoes like Yukon Gold, peeled
- 3 cups milk
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed and finely chopped
- few grinds nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 5 oz. Gruyere cheese, freshly grated
- butter to grease gratin dish
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Slice the potatoes ¼ inch thick. Place the potatoes slices in a saucepan with the milk, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring gently to separate the slices and prevent the mixture from scorching.
Butter a 6-cup gratin dish and pour the potatoes mixture into, top with the cream and Gruyere cheese. Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes, until potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown. Serve with grilled meat as a garnish.