Makes 6 Burger Buns
½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
½ cup onions, finely diced and cooked until tender
½ cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 tablespoons fresh thyme, coarse stems removed, chopped
1 recipe brioche dough, risen once
Flour, for dusting
2 eggs, lightly beaten with 3 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, knead the walnuts, onions, bacon and thyme into the dough until they are fully incorporated.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a log and cut into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Let the buns rise in a warm spot for 20-30 minutes, or until they have doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Very delicately brush the buns with the egg wash, and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- You will know that the buns are done because when you tap them on the bottom, they will sound hollow. This is the secret to perfectly baked brioche.
- Again, do not be afraid to overwork the dough when mixing in the ingredients. Brioche actually benefits from added elasticity.