Japanese Style Ceviche with Halibut
Serves 4 as an Appetizer
1 pound halibut fillet, boneless, skinless, cut in ½’ square chunks
3 tablespoons cucumber, peeled, diced small
3 tablespoons red onion, diced small
½ red chili pepper, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoon tomatoes, diced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup lime juice
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
1 tablespoon honey
- Fill a large bowl with ice, approximately 1/3 to ½ way full. Place a medium size bowl over the ice. This will be used to keep the ingredients cool as you mix them together.
- Place all ingredients except the garnishes in the medium bowl and mix together.
- Let mixture sit on ice or in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes. The halibut will become opaque and whitish in color
- Serve the ceviche, and garnish with butter lettuce leaves, lime wedges, lemon wedges, and green onions, as desired.
Secrets of a Chef:
- Use a very sharp knife when slicing the halibut, so that you don’t crush the fish.
- Adjust all of these ingredients, especially the chili pepper, based on your own tastes. If you like spicy dishes, use the whole pepper.
- The honey will give the dish a sweet and sour flavor.