3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups half and half
1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons butter, melted
6 small russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1/8” thick)
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, half and half, Gruyere cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Brush the butter into a small cast iron dish, or other small casserole pan.
- Place some of the potatoes in a thin, even layer on the bottom of the pan, and top with 2-3 tablespoons of cheese mixture.
- Continue layering potatoes and half and half, ending with the cheese mixture until your dish is full.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and cheese is browned on top.
- While most potato gratin recipes use heavy cream and eggs, this recipe is a way to achieve a gratin that is just as rich and delicious, but with only half of the fat!