Seafood Peruvian Ceviche
Ingredients:(Yields: 4 servings)
• ½ pound sea scallops, cut into ½" pieces
• ½ pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, cut into ½" pieces
• 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• ½ cup roasted corn kernels
• ½ cup celery, sliced thin
• ½ cup red onion, finely diced
• 3 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
• ½ cup sweet potato, cooked & cut
into ½" pieces
• 2 habanero peppers, deseeded and
• 1 cup lime juice
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• 4 spears endive lettuce
• 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 cup sweet potato, thinly sliced and
Directions:Gently mix together the scallops, shrimp, garlic, corn, red onion, cilantro, sweet potato, habanero, and lime juice.
Season mixture with salt and pepper, and let sit on ice or refrigerate for 15-20 minutes, but no more than 30 minutes prior to serving.
Optional serving ideas: Place the endive spears upright in the ceviche, and top with the cherry tomatoes. Serve with sweet potato chips for dipping.
Secrets of a Chef:
• There is usually a small muscle on sea scallops that comes off easily. This part of the scallop is tough, and should not be used in ceviche.
• Bay scallops would also work in this recipe, although the texture would be different.
• When making ceviche, it is important to maintain all ingredients at a cold temperature.