Meatless Pickled Vegetables
Ingredients:(Yields: Makes 4 servings)
• ½2 cups white wine vinegar
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup cauliflower, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
• 1 cup red pearl onions
• 1 cup white pearl onions
• 1 cup baby carrots, peeled
• 1 cup yellow beets, peeled
• 1 cup pimiento peppers
• 1 cup turnips, peeled, 1 inch pieces
• 1 cup small yellow peppers, halved, cored, seeded
• 1 tablespoon red peppercorns
• 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
• 1 tablespoon white mustard seeds
• 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
• 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
• 1 tablespoon allspice
• 1 tablespoon celery seed
• 8 bay leaves
Directions:Boil 1 quart of water in a saucepan.
Prepare an ice bath by mixing half water and half ice in a medium mixing bowl.
In a separate saucepan, mix 1 cup water, vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a boil.
Drop the vegetables into the 1 quart of boiling water and cook for two minutes.
Remove the vegetables with a strainer and dip into ice bath. When vegetables have cooled, remove from ice water and drain.
Mix the spices together except the bay leaves in a small bowl.
Spoon the vegetables into your jar until it is ¼ of the way full. Top with 2 bay leaves and 1.5 tablespoons of spice mixture.
Make 3 more layers of vegetables, bay leaves, and spice mixture, until your jar is full.
Pour boiling water, sugar and vinegar mixture over the vegetables up to the top of the jar.
Cover tightly with lid and let sit in the sunlight for five days. Then, move the jar into a dark space for one month for pickled vegetables to fully develop flavors.