IngredientsMakes 4 sliders
- 4 large sea scallops
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinaigrette, divided
- 4 slices Roma tomatoes, ½” thick
- ½ cup fennel stalk, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fennel greens, finely chopped
- ¼ cup radishes, very thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 slider buns with sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoon watercress leaves
- 3 slices bacon, cooked, cut into 1 to 2” pieces
- Heat a griddler or other grill on high.
- Season the scallops on both sides with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil.
- Place scallops on hot grill for 4-5 minutes, or until scallops are done.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of the red wine vinaigrette on the tomato slices, and add to the grill with the scallops, grill for about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the fennel stalk, fennel greens, radishes, remaining red wine vinaigrette, and salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to serve.
- In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and smoked paprika.
- To assemble the burgers, spread 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture onto the buns. Top each bun with 1 tablespoon watercress, a grilled tomato slice, scallop, bacon, and 1 tablespoon of fennel salad. Top with bun and secure with a toothpick. Serve with remaining fennel salad.
Secrets of a Chef:
- Adding the salt to the fennel salad is crucial, as it will cure the fennel itself.
- You can use any vinaigrette of your choice on the tomatoes and salad.
Using watercress will really give a nice spiciness to the burger that will compliment the spiciness of the smoked paprika and the sweetness of the scallop. Arugula would be a good substitute if you do not have watercress.