IngredientsYields: 4 servings
- 4 Large artichokes
- ½ Lemon
- 1 Fennel bulb
- 12 Nicoise olives
- 16/20 Fava beans, blanched
- 1 tbsp. Toasted pine nuts
- 1 Orange peeled and sectioned
- 1 Lime peeled and sectioned
- 2 Green onion, minced
- 1 tsp. Pickled mustard seeds
- 16 Large prawns, head on
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Ingredients for Herb Salad:
- 1 ½ tsp. Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ¼ tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Handful fresh chervil leaves
- Handful fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ Small bunch fresh chives cut into 1-inch lengths
- Leaves from fresh sprig tarragon
Artichoke salad: Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. To prepare the artichokes, cut off the stems and thorny tips of the leaves. Trim the bottom so that none of the hard green skin remains. As you work, rub the cut portions of the artichokes with the lemon to prevent discoloration. Place the trimmed artichokes in the boiling water and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes, until tender when pierced with a knife. Remove from the boiling water, drain and let cool. When the artichokes have cooled, scoop out the chokes with a teaspoon and slice the hearts.Trim the stalks and cut the fennel bulb in half lengthwise. Using a mandoline, cut the halves crosswise into very thin slices. Put them in a medium, nonreactive bowl. Add the artichokes, olives, fava beans, and pinenuts.
Make the citrus vinaigrette: Cut the citrus sections into 4 or 5 pieces. Cut the citrus sections into 4 or 5 pieces. Transfer to a small mixing bowl or cup; add the green onion, pickled mustard seeds, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix gently and season the artichokes salad with 2/3 of the citrus vinaigrette. Mix delicately and adjust the seasoning.
Measure the vinegar and oil into a medium bowl. Add a good pinch each salt and pepper. Stir together with a fork or whisk. Pile the basil, parsley, chervil, cilantro, chives, and tarragon on top of the dressing and set aside. Toss the salad only just before serving.
Finishing the dish:
Preheat the grill. Grill the prawns 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the grill.
In the center of 4 large plates, divide the artichoke salad; arrange the prawns attractively on top of the salad. Finish the herb salad and display on top of the prawns. Spoon the remaining citrus vinaigrette around the prawns.