For the Chocolate Meringues:
1/3 cup egg whites (100 grams)
½ cup granulated sugar (about 100 grams )
2/3 cup powdered sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
For the Raspberry Yogurt:
2 cups fresh raspberries
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups plain yogurt
Fresh mint leaves
- To prepare Chocolate Meringues, preheat oven to 200°F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip egg whites with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Add granulated sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, waiting 2 minutes in between additions, until half of the sugar has been added.
- Add remaining granulated sugar, let mixer run 5 more minutes. Meringue should be white, glossy, and have soft peaks.
- Sift together powdered sugar and cocoa powder, and gently fold into egg white mixture, either on low speed in a stand mixer, or by hand with a rubber spatula.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the meringue mixture to a pastry bag with a fluted tip, and pipe meringue shells onto the parchment paper by piping 4 small circular motions, about 1 inch wide. Should make 8 shells.
- Bake meringues for 45 minutes to an hour, or until they are hard to the touch.
- Prepare raspberry yogurt by combining raspberries and sugar in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add yogurt and pulse to combine.
- Transfer yogurt mixture into ice cream maker, and freeze for 20-25 minutes, or as according to the directions of your ice cream maker.
- To plate the dessert, scoop 2 generous scoops of yogurt onto a plate, and sandwich with a chocolate meringue on each side. Top with whipped cream, raspberries, mint, chocolate, and pistachios, if desired.
Secrets of a Chef:
- You can use nonfat yogurt for an even more healthy version of this dessert
- Meringues usually fail for one of the following reasons:
- Egg whites are beaten on too fast of a speed
- The sugar is added too quickly to the egg whites
- The bowl that the meringues are prepared in is not grease-free
- To make sure that your parchment paper sticks to the baking sheet, “glue” it down with some meringue mixture
- These chocolate meringues can be made up to 2 days in advance, and are best if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- After blending the raspberries and sugar, reserve a few tablespoons of the sauce to drizzle on your plated dessert.
- Sherry or other liquor could also be added to this frozen yogurt for additional flavor.