- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 quarts water
- 5 tablespoons quinoa
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon unflavored powdered gelatin
- ½ cup water
- Fresh berries, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- With a hand mixer, whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks. Place in refrigerator until needed
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Strain the quinoa out of the simmering water and set aside.
- Combine milk and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add quinoa, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the quinoa mixture from the heat, and slowly whisk in the cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in ½ cup water and let sit for 1-2 minutes, or until thick.
- Place gelatin in a small saucepan over medium heat, until it melts. Add the gelatin to the quinoa mixture.
- Place the quinoa mixture in a bowl over a larger bowl of ice water, and stir for 5-7 minutes, or until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove the whipped cream from the refrigerator and gently fold into quinoa mixture.
- Spoon into serving glasses or bowls and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.
- Garnish with berries and whipped cream, and serve.
- Quinoa is the healthiest of all the grains, and was once known as the “holy grain.”
- You must stir the quinoa mixture over the ice bath to cool it. If you just place it in the refrigerator, it will develop lumps.