1 pound salmon fillet, boneless, skinless, cut in ½” chunks
2 tablespoons heirloom tomatoes, diced
½ jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
½ red chili pepper, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons red onion, diced small
2 tablespoons sweet white onion, diced small
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup lemon juice
½ avocado, diced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Fill a large bowl with ice, approximately 1/3 to ½ way full. Place a medium size bowl over the ice. This will be used to keep the ingredients cool as you mix them together.
- Place all ingredients except the garnishes in the medium bowl and mix together.
- Let mixture sit on ice or in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to an hour.
- Serve the ceviche in a martini glass, or other container.
Secrets of a Chef:
- Use a very sharp knife when slicing the salmon, so that you don’t crush the fish.
- Adjust all of these ingredients, especially the jalapeno and chili pepper, based on your own tastes. If you like spicy dishes, use the whole pepper.
- Using cumin actually aids in digestion, which can help when consuming raw fish.