Makes 4 sliders
4 large sea scallops
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinaigrette, divided
4 slices Roma tomatoes, ½” thick
½ cup fennel stalk, very thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fennel greens, finely chopped
¼ cup radishes, very thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon salt
Pinch black pepper
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 slider buns with sesame seeds
4 tablespoon watercress leaves
3 slices bacon, cooked, cut into 1 to 2” pieces
- Heat a griddler or other grill on high.
- Season the scallops on both sides with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil.
- Place scallops on hot grill for 4-5 minutes, or until scallops are done.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of the red wine vinaigrette on the tomato slices, and add to the grill with the scallops, grill for about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the fennel stalk, fennel greens, radishes, remaining red wine vinaigrette, and salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to serve.
- In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and smoked paprika.
- To assemble the burgers, spread 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture onto the buns. Top each bun with 1 tablespoon watercress, a grilled tomato slice, scallop, bacon, and 1 tablespoon of fennel salad. Top with bun and secure with a toothpick. Serve with remaining fennel salad.
Secrets of a Chef:
- Adding the salt to the fennel salad is crucial, as it will cure the fennel itself.
- You can use any vinaigrette of your choice on the tomatoes and salad.