Ingredients:(Yields: 4 servings)
• 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
• 2 cups onions, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 1 quart vegetable broth, or water
• Pinch of sugar
• Salt & pepper, to taste
• 2 tablespoons unsweetened dried coconut, shredded (optional)
• ¼ cup White potato, peeled and finely diced
• 1-1 ¼ lb fresh spinach Leaves, rolled up in bundles and minced
• 8 oz fresh jumbo lump crabmeat, or Maine crabmeat
• 4 teaspoons Sour Cream, for garnish
• Sweet paprika, for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Sweat the onion and garlic, stirring often for 6 to 8 minutes or until soft. Add the vegetable broth, sugar, salt, pepper, coconut and potato, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and gently simmer for 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the spinach and continue simmering for another 3 minutes.
Transfer the soup to a blender and puree (in batches if necessary) until very smooth. Adjust the seasonings if necessary.
Divide the crabmeat evenly among 4 warm soup bowls. Ladle the hot soup over the crab. Spoon 1 teaspoon of the sour cream in the centre of each bowl and sprinkle with paprika. Serve immediately.